A Year Since Lockdown - Frankie Reeves
By Frankie Reeves, the Shop Manager at Lush Spa which is based at 29 High Street in Poole. They are the birthplace and home of Lush Fresh Handmade Cosmetics with their transformative Spa just next door. They sell all of your favourite Lush products, perform relaxing and restorative Spa treatments with the added extra of having new exciting products invented upstairs.
March 23rd marks a year since lockdown began and the reality of the pandemic hit the UK. What are your memories of that day?
It seems like such a long time ago, but at this point the Lush stores already closed. We see our shop doors as more than just shop doors, they are part of the community space and as such the decision was made to close the doors at the end of trading on Saturday 21st March 2020 to keep everyone safe. By the 23rd our stores were shut down and like everyone across the country we were at home thinking about how this was going to impact our future.
What actions did you take to save/change/pivot/support your business?
Initially when we reopened it was as a kiosk service as if you’ve ever visited us, you’ll know that we aren’t the biggest Lush Shop.
We had to keep on top of the ever evolving health and safety precautions, ensuring customers and staff were safe but also providing an enjoyable experience for those that ventured out to see us.
Once we reopened fully and were able to have customers inside the store, our focus was on providing a socially distanced Lush experience where we could showcase products without direct contact.
We also were adapting new ways to serve customers, whether through online consultations, updating customers on our social media channels or providing an Order & Collect Service.
Name up to three positive outcomes of the last year for your business?
- Realising that we are more resilient than we thought
- Building a stronger connection with our customers and surrounding community
- Providing a successful Order & Collect service over the busiest time of the year
What do you most look forward to doing IN BUSINESS as we slowly move out of lockdown?
- Showing our customers the exciting new inventions that have been invented during this lockdown period.
- A busy Summer! We can’t tell you how excited we are to welcome back customers either the familiar local faces or visitors from far and wide.
- Being back together as a team.
What do you most look forward to doing IN YOUR PERSONAL LIFE as we slowly move out of lockdown?
- Being able to make plans and travel
- Celebrating my 30th birthday with friends and family
- Summer evenings at the beach
What are your predictions for business generally in late 2021 into 2022?
1. Customers will be returning to their local high street, making the most of the local stores rather than shopping further afield.
2. We can’t wait to see how the Old Town businesses will make the most of the excellent pedestrianising of the road, spreading out into the outside space and making the most of a busy staycation filled summer.
3. Lots of FUN! Whether that is in store or businesses supporting other businesses, I expect to see lots of fun activities and opportunities for shoppers for the rest of the year. We’re excited to be back and we want customers to share that excitement too!
Name one business which has been heroic for you or your community over the last year?
We couldn't just choose one! We love the sense of community we have in Poole, especially down in Old Town and there have been many local businesses that have been crucial to our Team’s wellbeing over the last year and throughout the lockdowns.
Two that have stood out are No. 1 New Street Sandwich Shop. Kat and her Team have been the highlight of our lunch breaks with, as Kat’s Mum says, some of the best sandwiches in Poole.
Also Riptide Espresso + Records have kept us fueled with oat lattes, hot chocolates and our fair share of chai lattes throughout the past year and it's great to see Sam, Aaron and the Team so busy. Keep up the great work everyone!
Anything else you’d like to say?
It’s been an unforgettable year, so please don’t forget to take time for yourself amongst everything going on. Whether that be a bath, pampering shower or even just taking the time to have a coffee in the sunshine. Our shop door is a safe space for anyone wanting to escape reality for a while and we can’t wait to see you all soon. Come say hi and we’ll help you choose a little bit of self care to take home.
Find out more about Lush Spa HERE!